Pages

Monday 23 September 2013

And so it begins....Module 1, Chapter 1

Stars & Crosses - what's in a shape?

It's quite difficult to describe the difference between the 2 different shapes as they are in many ways similar and interrelate to some extent - e.g. a cross could be an element of a star shape. However the main defining factor is I guess that crosses consist of usually 2 lines (or rectangular type shapes) that intersect, where 1 line cuts across the main one. There are more complex crosses such as the Russian Orthodox Cross which has several lines cutting across the main line.
Russian Orthodox Cross

 Whereas stars consist of a number of lines (or shapes) that radiate from a focal, though not necessarily central, point.
 
Although the difference is slight, both the overall effect and cultural meanings can be very different. Both crosses and stars are used in religious imagery of many religions - sometimes both in the same religion - for eg Christianity uses both the cross (crucifixion) and star (star of bethlehem). I am not actively religious, but even so am a product of a  western  predominantly (once?) christian society and this inevitably shapes my perception of the meanings of these shapes. When I consider stars or crosses I think that crosses often have more 'heavy' and/or negative associations such as:
  • death & suffering
  • bleakness
  • failure, regret - cross out or delete
  • being at a crossroads - means difficult decisions to make and inevitable change/loss of existing way of life. 
  • negative feelings - such as being cross
Stars on the other hand hold much more positive meanings for me such as:
  • hope - a star shining in the dark
  • destiny and adventure - follow the stars
  • warmth & sunshine
  • vibrancy & life
  • success, recognition, desirability, star quality
So.....it will perhaps be no surprise that I have decided to focus on stars for this module :)

Visual research

I have started by collecting a number of 'pins' on Pinterest - you can see my pin board here. No doubt I'll carry on adding to this if I see something that grabs me.


Pinboard 1 - Rustic & Folk


I've also gathered a number of images from magazines, wrapping paper, fabric, a few of my own photos and a couple of rubbings. These have been arranged  onto 2 x A3 size 'pinboards' I seem to have got 2 basic themes going on - pinboard 1 shows rustic & folk type stars including Scandinavian style shapes, whereas board 2  shows more structures, architectural style shapes.







Pinboard 2 - Architectural Star Shapes
I love the simplicity of rustic shapes, but also the more structured and complex shapes on my 'architectural' board. Also I like the purple and yellow complementary colour scheme that seems to have emerged on the right hand side of pinboard 2.


Exploring Colour

I compiled a colour wheel using designers gouache paints. I use both warm and cool primary colours of red, blue and yellow for the hues, and white and black for the tints and shades.

Colour Wheel

It took a surprising long time for me to mix the colours, but in doing so I learned a few things:
  • lighter toned colours like yellow are quickly overwhelmed by darker colours red, blue & black.
  • warm red will never make a clear purple - a cool red is needed for this
  • black and yellow make a greeny colour

Colour Mixing Notes
I've also completed a number of line drawings in my sketchbook (A5, opens to A4 double page spread) to further explore some of the star shapes I have gathered, and am still keeping an eye out for more which will no doubt work it's way into my work as it evolves.
assorted star line drawings
















exploring the pattern on the exterior of new Birmingham library
I recently had a jaunt to Birmingham with some friends and was fascinated by the external decoration of the new library there, so had a play with this in my sketchbook

picking out starshapes from Brimingham library

No comments:

Post a Comment